Chapter 4: Preparing for your Trip Trip Plan
Filing a Trip Plan before you head out is a recommended procedure. The Trip Plan should be left with a responsible person and updated as the trip progresses and plans change to avoid unnecessary search and rescue emergency calls.
An up-to-date Trip Plan can aid in search and rescue efforts if they are needed.
The following information should be included in the Trip Plan:
- The name and number of the pleasure craft
- Type of vessel, sail or power
- Name, address and telephone number of the owner
- Number of people on board
- Size, type and colour of pleasure craft
- Type of engine
- Distinguishing features of the pleasure craft
- Type of radiotelephone, if any, and channel monitored
- Safety equipment carried including flares, lifejackets and life rafts
- Description of the trip, time of departure, estimated time of return, proposed route
- Instructions in case of emergency